I am dedicated to bringing something new to my paintings. Here is an example of how I am trying to tie plein air and imagination together in a pntg. Creativity is taking chances with your work.
Sunday, June 3, 2018
Here's a sketch of a hanger at the Santa Paula Airport which was stopped when the owner decided to shutter the view. I must have had 35 minutes to work on it. I had the basics in place, so I only had to push some of the spots of color to make it work for me. 11x 14" oil on canvas board
Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Sunday, May 27, 2018
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Thursday, May 17, 2018
Plein air workshop this May 19th is at the Mission Park, Ventura ....Demo starts at 8:59 am and you can also bring your supplies and paint with us. See Class Detail post below....
Wednesday, May 16, 2018
View Of City Hall, Ventura 12 x 16" oil is a quick painting I did this tuesday from the back of the city hall parking lot. The wind threatened to make havoc of the outing, so I finished it in quick order.
Tuesday, May 8, 2018
This 16" x 20" oil painting was done with the light changing with fog and clouds covering the sun. It was a demonstration on the first day of the plein air workshop.
It seems like I used the steelyard composition as demonstrated in the Edgar Payne page below.
Wednesday, May 2, 2018
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Plein Air Workshopsso that you can go out into the field and do it on your own. This class covers composition, color,
- These workshop classes will teach you the basics on how to approach plein air painting
drawing, and styles of paintings.
- You may use oil, watercolors, acrylics, water-based oils, pastels, or casein.
- Plein Air Ventura will take you to beautiful locations where you’ll learn how to paint on the spot.
- I have been painting plein air since 1980 and have been influenced by Joaquin Sorrolla and John Singer Sargeant works of art. I am a member of the CAC and have exhibited nationally.
- Plein Air uses outdoor lighting and has changing conditions. It enhances your travels and you see things with a "fresh eye."
- It’s for students of all skill levels. I will teach you the basics of painting, as well as give you confidence in your work.
Class Dates and Locations
May 5 - 9 am 12 Olivas Adobe
May 12- 9am 12 Marina Park
May 19- 9 am 12 Mission Park
May 26 9am 12 Ventura Pier
Demo starts at 9:00 sharp
Price - $160 for four classes
$ 50 for individual classes
Friday, April 20, 2018
OIL BRUSHES- six different sizes 2,4,6 8,10, 12 I favor the bristle, which are rounded square in shape.
WATERCOLOR BRUSHES - Flats, rounds and pointed brushes of several sizes.
Sponges, water, and other items you are used to using.
Easel of your choice,
Palette of your choice, if it does not come with the Easel.
Palette knives, and scrapers for laying in flat shapes and making lines.
Soft charcoal or pencil.
OIL PAINTS -Student grade works fine for most projects and it can save you some money.
I like to have a warm and cool of each primary colors, with a few earth tone, black and white.
Large Titanium White or Mixing White
Cad Red Medium
Cad Yellow Light
Thinner and jar to clean brushes
Small trash bag
Clips to hold thinner container and medium jar in place
Umbrella that attaches to easel
Big Straw hat
water and snacks
a third arm to carry everything :)